Tuesday 7 February 2012

Eating Out

Why do people go out for dinner? Going out for dinner is something that people enjoy to do, a leisure activity if you like. Some people enjoy that they are going to have someone waiting upon them, bringing them their food that has been made for them by someone else. The food at a restaurant may be nicer than anything that they can make at home.

As a waitress it is something that I find myself asking often, but I guess that everyone has a different reason for eating out; whether its a special occasion or their oven is broken, they are in a restaurant for the experience. I have often been told that acting is key to being a good waitress is to treat your tables like they are guests at a dinner party that you are hosting. Sometimes this is easier said than done because many customers want as little interaction with their waitress as possible, but if that is what makes them happy then they can be left alone, it certainly makes my job a whole lot easier.

They say that you can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat their waitress, which is known as "The Waiter Rule". This is very true I find myself judging people on how they treat me, and I assume that they are even quicker to judge me as their waitress, and I either like the people sitting on my tables or I don't. This does not mean to say that I do not like my job, I do quite enjoy it, not one shift is ever the same and this is what makes it all the more enjoyable


In my blog I am going to attempt to do a variety of things; I am going to recall my experiences of being a waitress (good and bad), explore the relationship that people have with food and how the presentation of food is important to the eating of the food (including food presented to you on a menu). 

1 comment:

  1. What a great topic - I'm looking forward to reading this. Are you going to incorporate any literary waitresses /waiters - lots in Dickens, for instance . . .

    ReplyDelete